English Language Learners can benefit from knowing specific strategies to use that increase comprehension including the following:
- Gallery Walks – Students write or draw the most important ideas from a section of assigned text.
- Questions in a Can – teacher or student-created questions ranging from lower to higher level questions are placed in a can. Students draw questions and answer in a team discussion.
- Similarities and Differences Using a Venn Diagram
- Split Page Note Taking – Before reading, students write who, what, when, where, or why questions on the left side of the page and after reading, students write answers on the right side.
- Survey, Question, Read, Review Recite – use these reading strategies to deepen understanding & teach students how to access informational texts (especially non-fiction texts!)
- THIEVES – helps prepare students for reading textbook chapters